To determine the workability of fresh concrete by using a Vee-Bee consistometer as per IS: 1199 – 1959.
i) Vee-Bee consistometer
- A conventional slump test is performed, placing the slump cone inside the cylindrical part of the consistometer.
- The glass disc attached to the swivel arm is turned and placed on the top of the concrete in the pot.
- The electrical vibrator is switched on and a stop-watch is started, simultaneously.
- Vibration is continued till the conical shape of the concrete disappears and the concrete assumes a cylindrical shape.
- When the concrete fully assumes a cylindrical shape, the stop-watch is switched off immediately. The time is noted.
REPORTING OF RESULTS
The consistency of the concrete should be expressed in VB-degrees, which is equal to the time in seconds, recorded in Para v, above.