Concrete is a composite material composed of coarse aggregate, fine aggregate bonded together with a fluid cement that hardens over time.
It can be mixed by machines such as Non tilting mixtures, Tilting Mixtures, Single drum, Double drum, Pan mixers.
Machine mixing is obtained for large quantities, Supply of concrete is continuous and it requires low water/cement ratio.
It also can mixed with hands if the quantity of concrete is small, Supply is intermittent & it requires high water/cement ratio.
Ready mixed concrete:-
Instead of batched and mixed on the site, concrete is delivered ready for placing from central mixing plant is called ready mixed concrete.
In other words “Ready mix concrete is the concrete which is designed ,mixed in the factory (Batching plants) and transported by agitating trucks to the site of work . Its is one type of controlled concrete having high work efficiency. By this process also we achieve a good quality assurance because proper batching ,mixing and designing is being done”.
- Suitable for sites located in/near congested areas.
- Very good quality control, as it is manufactured in controlled conditions.
- Suitable when small quantities at different time is required.
- Suitable for very large projects.
- For adverse site/climate conditions.
- Transportation cost is added.
- Chances of segregation, if proper care is not taken.
Watch Technical video’s related to civil engineering on our YouTube channel We Civil Engineers