Separation of constituents of heterogeneous mixture so that their distribution is no longer uniform.
Segregation occurs due to following five reason’s
- Large difference in size of aggregates.
- Large difference in specific gravity of aggregates.
- Improper handling of concrete.
- Over vibration of concrete.
- Improper grading of aggregates.
Harmful effects due to segregation of concrete:-
- Honey combing of concrete.
- High permeability of concrete.
- Lower compressive strength.
- Poor finishing of surfaces.
Control of segregation:-
We can control the segregation of concrete by following ways
- By proper selection of aggregates.
- By proper handling of concrete.
- Applying controlled vibration.
- Adopting leak proof form work.
Watch Technical video’s related to civil engineering on our YouTube channel We Civil Engineers