Digital levels use electronic image processing to evaluate the special bar-coded staff reading, This bar-coded pattern is converted into elevation and distance values using a digital image matching procedure within the instrument.
ADVANTAGES OF DIGITAL LEVEL
- Correction of collimation error: Can be reliably determined and saved using the four integrated Check and Adjust procedures or it can be entered manually
- Minimize human error: Fatigue-free observation as visual staff reading by the observer is not required.
- User friendly menus with easy to read, digital display of results.
- Earth curvature correction: The measurements made are automatically free of the influence of the earth’s curvature.
- Measurement of consistent precision and reliability due to automation.
- Automatic data storage eliminates booking and its associated errors.
- We can operate in low light conditions.
- Fast, economic surveys resulting in saving in time (up to 50% less effort has been claimed by manufacturers).
- Data on the storage medium of the level can be downloaded to a computer enabling quick data reduction for various purposes.
COMPONENTS OF DIGITAL LEVEL
Main components of digital level consist of two parts: Hardware (Digital level and levelling staff) and Software.
- Both digital level and associated staff are manufactured so that they can be used for both conventional and digital operations.
- Typically digital level has the same optical and mechanical components as a normal automatic level.
- However, for the purpose of electronic staff reading a beam splitter is incorporated which transfers the bar code image to a detector diode array.
- The light, reflected from the white elements only of the bar code, is divided into infrared and visible light components by the beam splitter.
- The visible light passes on to the observer, the infrared to diode array.
- The acquired bar code image is converted into an analogous video signal, which is then compared with a stored reference code within the instrument.
TYPES OF DIGITAL LEVELS
- Spinter 50
- Spinter 150
- Spinter 150m
- Spinter 250m
- Leica DNA10 Digital Level
Leica DNA03 Digital Level
Subscribe & Watch Technical video’s related to civil engineering on our YouTube channel We Civil Engineers